I have always felt that in Europe, wherever i go, people give me this look, like i am some untouchable creature or just some filth. I used to think maybe it was in my head and i was imagining things, but as time passes, i have started believing that its not just me, but it is true, we Asians are not considered equal to them white skinned people. It saddens me and at times makes me angry too.
What makes me get my anger out right now, is an incident that happened to me yesterday. I was coming back from my holiday and i got off the train at my destination. As i got off, i saw 2 cops standing there. As thoughts passed through my mind, i said to myself, its funny how we Asians are always looked at with suspicion, but i just walked on towards the exit lost in my thoughts. I walked all along the platform, out the exit, crossed the road and was walking towards my bus stop. It is my normal route and i have walked down it plenty of times, to know that at the street corner, there will always be some or the other drunk guy waiting to start a conversation. Just as expected and as a welcome back home routine, there were 2 drunk men sitting there. Paranoid as i am, i increased my speed and walked faster to put as much distance as possible between the drunk guys and me, when from behind i heard a man's voice call out to me. I ignored and walked on faster, assuming it was these same men, who harass women asking for a lighter or a cigarette. But then i heard footsteps running behind me and before i knew it, someone tapped on my arm. I turned around holding my breath and fear in my heart, to see the same 2 police men i had crossed a few minutes back on the platform. They had followed me all the way and the minute i stopped they stood on either side of me and asked me for my identification papers. I pulled out my passport and my residence permit with my heart beating fast and my hands ice cold. I am not a fan of being stopped in the middle of the road like a convict or someone who has done something wrong. I showed them my papers which were all in place, and i apologized for walking fast when they called and told them, i had been bothered before on the same road by drunk men and i was scared. They said that is ok, they saw all my papers, asked me how long i was to stay in this place, returned my passport and said, have a good day and just walked off. Leaving me standing there in the middle of the street with a few people staring at the scene that had just happened. I was red in my face with shame for being stopped by the cops in this manner. I was scared, i was angry, i was upset and i was shaken. Why is it that only we darker skinned people are treated like this? Why can we not be treated as humans equal to the people here? Back in India, we do not stop fair skinned people and look at them with suspicion. They are human just like us. Then why this inferiority feeling is doled out on us in a foreign land? Am i not here because they need me to come and teach their children in school? Isn't it their government who has given me a scholarship to come teach here? When will the world become equal ? When will humans be given the respect they all deserve?
At times like this i feel, no matter how much more money i earn here, i will still prefer to work back in my country where i am given the respect i deserve.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
yup... I agree.. Its the best to be where you from
But you only appreciate where you're from when you venture out :).
Yes, I agree with Gale.. I know what you mean. It isn't as apparent here where there are a ton of Indians but oh yes I feel the subtle vibes and I do not miss the subtle glances which are very much related to my skin colour..
Hmmm, having lived and traveled to more than six countries in Europe I haven't come across racism. Touchwood.
Reading this anecdote of yours, I must say this is quite shameful for the policemen.
But I also feel that it is not a reason not to venture out of one's country, as Gale wrote.
Being White in India is probably easier than having a dark or non-White skin in Europe, but you still feel that you are foreign to the country at times, especially when you sense that people talk to you only because of your Whiteness.
Let's be happy though that since you wrote your post, Obama has been elected President of the USA. Racism will hopefully become something of the past in the near future, provided we continue to go out of our native countries...
Post a Comment