It was on Wednesday, i had a long tiring day. A full day out with all the kids, visits to a museum and a cave and a long long bus ride. We left soon after breakfast and reached back just in time for dinner. I was exhausted, cold, miserable and down with fever. i was aching all over, i was teary eyed and sick. I missed home and all my things. I wanted to get off the bus and just get into bed, but no, i had to trudge along as i knew it and finish dinner. I reached the cafeteria, red eyed and shivering. I didn't want to eat nor speak to anyone. I plonked myself on a far away chair, so as not to have a conversation over dinner, when the director of the center came to me and said, cheer up, i have a surprise for you today ! I looked at him, to see if he was just saying it to cheer me up, but no, there i saw a twinkle in his eyes ! I suddenly felt excited like a little child and kept thinking in my head what could he be talking about.
Finally one by one, everyone came in for dinner, we sat around the table as usual and waited to be served. The soup arrived as usual, and it instantly warmed me up, while i was still excited about the surprise coming up.
Soon after soup, as the bowls were cleared up, the kitchen service ladies come with food instead of the usual plates served up. Before i had time to realize what it was, there was a complete Indian dinner laid out in front ! My jaw dropped open and my eyes popped out, to see tandoori chicken, chicken curry and mix vegetable and basmati rice all steaming hot ! The director was grinning while all of us others were in shock. Everyone urged me to try the dishes and tell them how it had turned out. It was the most delicious spread i had eaten in a long long time, made with indian spices, but a touch of french love. When i asked who cooked it, the service ladies said, the director and his wife spent the afternoon getting ingredients and cooking it. I was touched with their gesture to make me feel at home and before i knew it, i felt a tear roll. I asked them if i could eat with my fingers as i do at home and they said yes sure, its our pleasure. A few of them were daring enough to put away their knives and forks and asked me to show them how to eat with their fingers. It was a fun dinner with laughter and cries, with sweat dripping off foreheads with all the spice. It was a great surprise and i could not wipe off my grin, i was so glad i had not decided to act cranky and skip dinner that evening !
Later that evening as i said thank you, i could see the director was as happy as me. I am glad to have met all the people there, who have made a special place in my heart and will forever stay there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
They sound like the sweetest people who did the sweetest thing!
Awww! That is seriously the most awesome surprise! :)
Post a Comment