Sunday, October 4, 2009

The things one learns

I have always wondered why i give so much importance to what other people think of me and what i do. I keep thinking i have moved onto a higher level of self confidence, but then the next time someone says something negative to me, or finds a fault in me, i go back into my shell, into utter self doubt and a feeling of rejection. There have been times when simply to get an approval from others, i have done things i hate to do, overworked myself and at times even pushed myself to collapsing point, just to have people pat on my back and say, oh you are so nice.
Like a fool, i always believed, when people said nice things to me for all i did for them, they were genuine, but slowly i realize, they are only laughing behind my back saying, oh, she is such an idiot. All we need to do is say a few nice things to her, and there, she will be willing to do anything for us. Slowly, steadily i started realizing, all the rotten work would invariably come to me, all the things that others rejected were dumped onto me, and on top of it, i was made to feel, it was a big favor they were doing, to give me all that they did. I never got the true respect i felt i deserved and they would always pull me down and make me feel like the world is such a rotten place to be in. My attitude for a long time has been extremely negative. Everything and everyone was looked upon with a shadow of doubt. I stopped trusting people and stopped being the cheery self i would like to be. I started feeling like no one really wanted to hang around with me, because all i did was crib and complain about things that were going wrong with me.
But as time passes by, i realize, its not me. I don't have to please others or do things for them. If they like me, it should be for who i am and what i stand up to be. I am slowly realizing that it is ok to say no to people. They will respect me more if i am honest with them, rather than say things just to be liked by them. I realize, people are smarter than i think they are, and they can see through everything others say and do.
The last 2 months have seen a major change in me. I am finally doing a job i love. It keeps me energized, positive and happy in life. In turn i have realized, i give off positive energy and hence have more friends all around. I am trying not to be my cribby self, but someone who can be positive, laughing and pleasant to have around. I realize how much of a difference self confidence can do to a person. In professional and personal life. I no longer count the days that go by, but simply stand back at the end of the week and say, wow that was a quick week that passed by. I also realize, how important it is to do a job that one truly enjoys. It shapes up the person who you are and makes you give in the best you can.
I realize i am no longer dependent on anyone. I realize i don't need anyone to make me happy. Happiness is something that i create for myself. This new confidence has helped me realize a lot of things, and if people really love me, they will realize it too and change themselves to be with me.

2 comments:

Pradnya said...

ohhh.. well said umelette! n so true too.
hmm.. may b i shld just follow what u have done...thanks! :*

Pradnya said...

what about those who like to see and hear only nice words...big smile and praises?
some people are alive and are what they are just because they have always used others with great efficiency. very few get to see their rather dumb side and therefore they manage to shine above all...
it is possible to strike a balance between these two worlds and still be happy?